The Wendl & Lung brand started in 1910 as a collaboration between Stefan Lung and Johann Wendl in Vienna, Austria. From around 1930 onwards the company seems to have moved towards piano rebuilding and restoration.
Peter Veletzky, great-grandson of Stefan Lung, took over the business in 1994. In 1999 he became technical advisor to various piano manufacturers in China. This relationship was developed via the Chinese wife of Ernest Bittner, who formed a business partnership with Veletzky in 2000.